Friday, April 29, 2011

Loving Mother Earth

My husband and I have always tried to be a little eco-friendly, but ever since the last trimester of my pregnancy we've really become much more conscious of Mother Earth and how our actions affect our child's future.  (But now that the baby is born I'd say we've become completely obsessed...I know I have, anyway.)  I can't help it!  My child means more than anything in this world to me and I only want the best and healthiest environment for him.  I'm talking about the big picture, though.  That's where my recycling, composting, and organic compulsions come into play. 
A little over a month ago there was an interview done by NBC about a family that is essentially waste-free.  Check out the link: Waste-Free Family.  I want to say they're slightly over-the-top, but I can't because...I honestly don't think they are.  I think they just live a life like God had intended us to live...simple, clean, organic, and without landfills.  At the end of each month, this family can only fill up a soup can's worth of trash.  Unbelievable!  I can probably collect that much trash out of my purse at any given moment.
We've always used cloth napkins and recycled, but it's really not enough.  We've been CSA members for over 2 years now (but wish we could grow more of our own fruits and veggies), we bought a clean-diesel car, but more recently, we've been trying to re-use paper towels and Ziploc baggies.  That may sound so weird, but we can use the same paper towel to wipe down our kitchen counters for 2-3 days before throwing it out.  We use organic cleaner and then rinse out the paper towel after each use.  It's thick enough--like a real kitchen towel.  Think about it--for most of our grandparents' lives (and all the generations before that) they used kitchen towels and sponges to clean...not disposable paper towels.  You're probably wondering, "Well, why not just stop using paper towels altogether, you smug S.O.B.!"  It's tough.  That's why.  We're not there, yet, but we will be soon.  I do this for the well-being of Earth, but even more so for my son.  I hope I can see him, my grandchildren, and my great-grandchildren grow up in a neighborhood with clean streets and beaches.  Honestly, though, that's a tall order at the rate our world is going.  If you make one small change now, you will become conscious of every future thing you do!    

No comments:

Post a Comment