Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Love I Have

Last month I came across a quote in a magazine.  I tore the page out and have had it sitting on my kitchen counter ever since.  I've read it at least 25 times.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world.  It knows no law, no pity, it dates all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."  -Agatha Christie, "The Last Seance"

The love I have for my son is beyond words.  I can honestly say I never knew what love was until I had him.  I thought I knew.  I mean I love a lot of things--my parents, husband, dog, cat, our lake house--but I reeeaally love my son.  I love him so much that it brings tears to my eyes if I literally think about him too much.  For example, if I think about how fast he's going to grow up, I'll start getting teary-eyed.  A couple of months ago, as my son was asleep in my sister's arms, she said to me as she was caressing his head, "Gosh, don't you wish you could just take away any pain and heartache he's ever going to have to go through?"  I lost it.  I couldn't even look at him.  I had to leave the room because I started crying.  Even as I type this I feel a lump rise in my throat.  Having a child makes me look at life in a whole new light.  I feel more compassion for others because they are somebody's child.  Does that make sense?  I've become more patient, more understanding, and more "loving."  

Therefore, this quote was very powerful to me and summed up my emotions pretty well.  I just wanted to share it with you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment